Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fall Bike Ride

This afternoon Jan (my neighbor and training partner extraordinaire) and I went on a glorious Fall bike ride. We've been enjoying an unusually warm Fall this year and I've enjoyed it so much. We went on Cherry Creek Trail/Highline Canal, a path we hadn't taken before. The leaves were in full color, the sun was shining, and we were enjoying our ride.

As much as I grieved when the racing season came to a close at the end of summer, I have to admit that days without strict training goals are really, really nice. We ride as long as we want, as slowly as we want, and we turn around and come home when we feel like it.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for goals. In fact I'm hugely into goals. Give me a goal and I'll achieve it or kill myself trying.

But I'm discovering that not having a strict goal is really okay too...for a season.

Going for fun and enjoyment took us 26 miles today, which is no small distance for us.

Oh and during our ride Jan had a flat tire -- our first one to change out on the open road, and we changed it ourselves with no extra help. It was the back tire too.

Yeah, we rock.

No comments: